Website and app privacy and cookies policy
We are committed to protecting your privacy online. We appreciate that you do not want the personal information you provide to us distributed indiscriminately and here we explain how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- information (such as your email address, details about your university education, detail about your career aspirations) that you provide by completing forms on the App, including if you register as a user of the App, subscribe to any service, upload or submit any material via the App, request any information or enter into any competition or promotion we may sponsor;
- in connection with an account sign-in facility, your password and log-in details;
- your preferences, which helps us provide you with more tailored content;
- details of any job application links followed by you through the App;
- communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the App or its content;
- information from surveys that we may, from time to time, run on the App for research purposes, if you choose to respond to them;
- details of your visits to the App, the resources you access and any data you download;
- information obtained from your social networking profile, if you log-in via a social networking site.
You are under no obligation to provide any such information. However, if you should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
Uses Made Of Your Information
We will use the information you provide to:
- help us to build a profile of your preferences so we can offer you content you are interested in;
- administer your account with us;
- audit the downloading of data from the App;
- improve the layout and/or content of the pages of the App and customise them for users;
- identify visitors to the App;
- carry out research on our users' demographics and tracking of usage data;
- share with social networking sites at your request; and
- disclose to lawful authorities when required to do so by law.
We will also use information you provide to us for the purposes of contacting you with information regarding content, offers or surveys. This shall only be done with your consent and our direct marketing policy which is explained in full below.
When you visit the App, we may automatically collect additional information about you, such as the type of device or operating system you use and, if you came to the website, the type of internet browser you use and the website from which you have come to the site. Also, depending on whether you access The Gateway on your PC or via your mobile device, we will collect your IP address (the unique address which identifies your home computer on the internet) or the unique identifier (which is linked to your mobile device) which are automatically recognised by our servers. You cannot be identified solely from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on the App and to collect broad demographic information for aggregate use.
We may disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to the App in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party.
We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cyber crime or to protect the App or enforce the terms under which you transact with us or enforce the rights, property or personal safety of any person.
The App may, from time to time, make public forums available to its users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when using these and never disclose your personal information.
The App contains links to external sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
Marketing To You
We may send you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us by push notification and/or by e-mail, including information about the latest content featured on the App, provided you have indicated that you do not object to being contacted for these purposes and we will always give you the option to opt-out of receiving further e-mails or push notifications by following the unsubscribe instructions on any communications sent to you.
Additionally we may allow our partners, and if you consent by opting-in to receive such information and offers, other carefully selected third parties, to send you information directly which you may find useful regarding their opportunities, products and services.
You can tell us not to contact you with information regarding the opportunities, products or services of third parties, or to share your details with third parties so that they can directly send you information regarding their products and services, either at the point such information is collected on the App (by checking the relevant box), or where you do not wish us to continue to use your information in this way by following the unsubscribe instructions on any communications sent to you.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our users. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the App whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
Storage Of Your Information
Information that you submit via the App is sent to and stored on secure servers located in the European Economic Area countries. This is necessary in order to process the information. Information submitted by you may be transferred by us to other locations and/or to the third parties mentioned in the circumstances described above, which may be situated outside the European Economic Area and may be processed by staff operating outside the European Economic Area. By submitting information via the App, you agree to this storing, processing and/or transfer.
You have a legal right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to a copy of all the personal information about you held by us. On request, we will provide you with a copy of this information subject to a fee not exceeding £10. You also have a right to correct any errors in that information. As mentioned above, you have a right to prevent the use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
The Gateway Cookies Policy
When you interact with the App, we try to make that experience simple and meaningful. When you visit our App our Web server sends a cookie to your computer or mobile device (depending on how you access the site). Cookies are small pieces of information which are issued to your computer when you visit a website and which store and sometimes track information about your use of the site. A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of your web session and expire when you close your App. These are known as session cookies. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to the App and will last for longer. These are known as persistent cookies.
- remember that you have visited us before; this means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive. This allows us to make sure we have enough capacity for the number of users that we get;
- customise elements of the promotional layout and/or content of the pages of the site; and
- collect statistical information about how you use the site so that we can improve the site and learn which parts of the website are most popular to visitors.
Some of the cookies used by our App are set by us, and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf. For example, social networking sites.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used on the site you may not be able to take full advantage of the App if you do so.